I was visiting a wholesaler in Houston when I saw some stunning black and white boxes with the most gorgeous ribbon and I knew I had to create a tree with this kind of bold and striking look. For this scheme, your home should already have a modern aesthetic, and it would make a brilliant statement in a large entryway. I think this look is a one-off, and not one that you’d want to recreate every year. This theme doesn’t draw on trends too much, however, black and white seems to make any kind of holiday décor pop.
Christmas tree styling tips
● One of my more creative ideas was to use one of the black and white boxes as a tree topper, which required some engineering skills and plenty of zip ties to get it to stay!
● These boxes also appear throughout the tree and work well as a funky table centrepiece to tie the whole look together.
● Smaller black and white ornaments continue the theme, while larger pieces in fuchsia and lime green really pop.
● I have used the most beautiful lime green beaded butterflies and pink poinsettias on the tree with very striking combinations of ribbon to complement the look and add a bit of nature.
● Black tulle netting makes a unique tree skirt and completes the scheme.
Festive table styling ideas
● To complement the tree, I’ve layered the table using a black and white striped cloth as a base, with glittery lime green chargers, a very funky reindeer ornament and fuchsia sequined napkins.
● I like to use rose gold cutlery with this look, to be a little different.
- This style does not suit everyone’s taste but it will certainly make an impression! You can use individual elements in other themes next year and the butterflies will work wonderfully in spring table settings too.
Discover more Christmas styling inspiration from Janet Waite: Get the look of this sophisticated festive theme